As winter sets in and temperatures begin to drop, it is essential that every home, office and other places of work be sufficiently prepared to keep their occupants warm. During the season temperature does get extreme.
Being pro-active as well as having a routinely maintained HVAC system, there should be little worry about New Jersey winter storms. However, most people are caught off-guard by storms that seem to appear out of nowhere and little time to prepare. The results can range anywhere from spending more on heating costs to no power & heat at all!
Why maintenance and preparing your HVAC system before a potential winter storm is essential.
Preventive maintenance at any time of year and especially before a winter storm sets in is essential to ensure that your home & family are protected to keep their houses warm.
By following the tips below, you are sure to cut your power usage & lower electricity bills, as well as extending the lifespan of their HVAC systems.
Replacing old furnaces and heating elements.
When properly maintained and taken care of, most furnaces will function properly from 15 to 20 years. To last this long, the system must be maintained on a yearly basis. Without proper maintenance, the HVAC furnace can be an individual’s or family’s worst nightmare, especially during extreme snowstorms.
Signs if there is a problem:
- If the furnace is more than 15 years old.
- Electricity bills are often higher than expected or usual.
- The furnace is unable to warm your home sufficiently.
- The furnace makes noise when running.
- If the furnace has not been inspected and maintained for longer than 2-3 years.
- Keep your home’s exhaust pipes clear of snow and ice.
- Insulate any vulnerable pipes. Wrap them with insulation sleeves to prevent freezing.
- If you haven’t already, turn off all outdoor water lines (to hoses and outdoor spigots).
- If any pipes get frozen and burst, turn off your water supply to that pipe and drain it by opening the faucets. Leave faucets open until you can get the pipe repaired.
- If you have an oil tank, make sure that you have enough oil to last.
- Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free @888-315-5564