What Not to Put in a Garbage Disposal
Some foods don’t grind up easily, so avoid putting the following items in your garbage disposal:
- Grease or oil can solidify inside a garbage disposal and cause clogs in the drain pipe.
- Potato peels contain starch which can cling to the sides of the disposal, making it difficult to flush out into the drain pipe.
- Glass, plastic, metal, or paper can jam or dull the blades of a garbage disposal.
- Big bones, seeds, or pits can also dull the blades, jam the disposal, or become lodged in the drain pipe.
- Egg shells can stick to the pipes and having enough of them in there could result in a clog.
- Expandable foods, such as pasta and rice, also contain starch which can cling to the disposal. In addition, water can cause them to expand in the disposal and cause a clog.
Following these tips can keep your disposal clean and fully functional. If you do run into problems with your garbage disposal, turn the power off at the circuit breaker before attempting to remove a clog or jam, or call a qualified Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ plumber to handle the repairs for you.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free @ 888-315-5564