During cold fall nights, your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system becomes the most valuable equipment in your home. But if it’s running poorly, that means less comfort and higher energy bills for homeowners. Heating your home and producing hot water are generally the largest energy expenses for any homeowner, so you can ensure your home heating bill remains as reasonable as possible by supporting your HVAC system and keeping it running properly.
Complete these tips in the fall to help your HVAC system operate efficiently throughout the winter. This way, you can save money to be enjoyed in other ways during the holiday season.
Change the Air Filter and Clean the Vents
Changing the air filter every month is one of the most important things you can do to support your HVAC system. It’s also one of the easiest. The filter should be checked every month and replaced if it is dirty. Filters should be replaced at the very least every three months – no matter what. Keep up with this simple project by choosing a regular day to check the filter, such as the first or last day of the month.
The same day the filter is replaced is also a good time to vacuum off the air vents. This keeps them clean and allows warm air to flow freely, easing temperature regulation throughout the home.
Have It Inspected
Yearly service of your HVAC system ensures it runs properly. Homeowners should have the system inspected in the fall to best prepare it for the demands of winter. The Department of Energy website offers a list of helpful instructions to help homeowners.
If Your HVAC System is Ancient, Replace It
Replacing the home’s HVAC system can be an expensive proposition, but if your system is old and inefficient, the added comfort and financial benefits of a new system can be very real. If your system is more than 10 years old, ask a Green Apple technician’s opinion on the longevity of your system. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, replacing it with a new high-efficiency model could reduce your home’s annual energy bill by as much as 20-40 percent.
Call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564 with any questions or concerns you may have.
- Save Yourself Money – By replacing your system in the fall, you put time on your side. Time to research the type of equipment that would be best for your situation instead of just replicating whatever you had before. Fall replacements also give you time to search for the best HVAC system. Since most contractors are in between the cooling and heating seasons, they will be much more available and willing to spend time with you to help you figure out the best ways to solve your cooling problems. Since investments in new HVAC systems can be significant, this time also allows you to plan. You might even consider covering it under a home equity loan, thus saving on financing costs.
Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel to call Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
If you notice that your plumbing has been giving you problems lately, check your yards. Those beautiful orange leaves can be the biggest culprits here. This is primarily because a lot of leaves fall and accumulate in one location during the season. They can easily be blown into your drainage system and block everything. Winds, rain and sometimes even traffic are the factors which play a big part in pushing those leaves in your drainage system.
Fortunately, this problem can also be handled easily by a professional Green Apple plumber. Let them have a thorough check on the system. They might replace your drain cover so that this problem does not reoccur. Many covers are manufactured to fit a particular drain; hence it’s crucial to get them properly measured and fitted by a professional only.
We really hope that you understand the importance of a professional Green Apple plumber. Save yourself from all the drama of “trial & fix error” and hire a professional Green Apple plumber. It costs more money to fix the damage caused inadequately than with a professional expert. We have insight, deep knowledge and troubleshooting plans to tackle all plumbing related problems.
We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-315-5564
Although the first hint of cool fall weather may have you more focused on your furnace, this is the perfect time to install a new central air conditioning system. By getting the job done now, you’ll save money compared to the summertime costs and you’ll be ready to go with a reliable, energy-efficient cooling system next year.
FIND GREAT DEALS ON NEW A/C SYSTEMS
A new central cooling system is an investment. Even though upgrading to a more efficient air conditioner will lower your cooling bills, it’s still worth it to save as much as you can on upfront purchase costs.
Many homeowners upgrade or install a new central A/C in early summer when they decide not to spend another hot summer without reliable air conditioning. Others are forced to replace their systems in the middle of summer when their existing cooling system breaks down. This keeps A/C system prices high all summer.
Come fall, demand for air conditioners drops off. HVAC equipment sellers who still have plenty of stock left over from summer often discount it to move it out of their inventory before winter. It’s a little like garden furniture going on sale at the end of summer.
IN THE FALL, TECHNICIANS ARE AVAILABLE AND AFFORDABLE
Fall is one of the slowest periods for heating and cooling technicians. Thanks to the mild weather, the start of school and the upcoming holidays, many homeowners forget all about their air conditioners.
That means not only do many HVAC specialists have open spots in their work schedules, but they also offer favorable pricing to encourage customers to call in and fill those spots. Prices for HVAC services are lower in fall than at any other time of year.
Install a new central A/C in fall and not only can you get a good deal on installation work, but you also have a better chance of getting scheduled in with the kind of highly trained, experienced technician you want.
Putting in an air conditioner requires outdoor work, including digging. You might find air conditioners on sale in December, but getting the system installed in New Jersey’s cold, snowy winter weather may not always be possible. Even when it is, heating and cooling technicians usually have their schedules full with furnace installation and repair work.
DITCH THOSE WINDOW UNITS
The window A/C units used in many homes have several drawbacks. Inconvenience is one. They’re usually put in place at the beginning of summer, then removed and put into storage come fall. In addition, window units can be uncomfortably loud, older models aren’t energy efficient, and any unsealed gaps around the units cause air leaks that let in hot, humid outdoor air.
Install a new central A/C this fall and it will be the last time you’ll ever have to pull out those window units and haul them to storage. Next summer, you’ll enjoy cool air in every room without any irritating noise. There’s a good chance your cooling bills will be lower, too.
Keep in mind if your home uses radiators, baseboard heaters or another ductless heating method, you’ll need to have ducts installed along with the new air conditioner. Duct sizing and installation adds time to the system installation job, so start early before the cold weather arrives.
KNOW WHEN TO REPLACE THE A/C
If you already have a central air conditioner, but you’ve been considering upgrading, there are a few clear signs that tell you this fall is the time to do it.
- The system is old – An air conditioner that’s more than 10 years old runs less efficiently than modern systems and is at high risk for component failure no matter how well it seems to be running.
- The A/C has frequent breakdowns – Have you had to call a repair technician this year, last year and the year before that? Take time this fall to buy and install a new central A/C and next summer you’ll spend less time and money on A/C repairs, as well as enjoy lower energy bills and improved cooling performance.
- Cooling bills are rising – If every summer brings cooling bills that are much higher than the last, chances are it’s due to the steady drop in energy efficiency your system experiences as it ages.
Regularly clean your ducts
The ducts in your home are just as susceptible to the buildup of dust and debris as any of the other parts of your HVAC system. Regularly cleaning and maintaining them will keep the unit running at maximum efficiency and add years to any HVAC system.
Basic cleaning of the ducts in your home is something you can do yourself if you are willing to put in the time and effort. You will simply need a vacuum cleaner to get most of the debris and a brush to get the rest of the smaller particles. However, to clean an entire air duct systems, you will need to hire a Green Apple HVAC professional. They will come equipped with a special vacuum truck, motorized brushes, and various accessories to ensure your ducts are cleaned properly to work to maximum efficiency.
Invest in regular inspections
While there’s a good deal of prevention and HVAC maintenance you can do on your own, your HVAC system should also receive regular inspections from certified Green Apple professionals. An HVAC system is a complicated piece of technology and there are many variables that contribute to it running at maximum efficiency. That’s why you should look for a Green Apple HVAC technician. Your HVAC engineer can give you recommendations as to how best to increase the efficiency of your system as well as make repairs as necessary.
Upgrade your HVAC system
At some point, it’s a good idea to upgrade your system to the most modern version. Modern HVAC systems are more energy efficient and reliable than ever before. A good system will last you many years and although having a new HVAC system installed can seem costly, ultimately it will save you a good deal of money in the long run. Contact Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing to get a consultation on the best HVAC system to set up in your home or business.
Call toll-free at 888-315-5564
- Cover your drains. The best AND easiest way to keep your drains clog-free is to keep everything but water out in the first place. By placing mesh screens over all of your drains, you’ll be able to catch and remove hair, food particles, and other debris.
- Pro Tip: Don’t want mesh screens to clash with your décor? Mesh screens can easily be installed under your shower drain cover, so you’ll still be able to catch debris without having to look at the buildup.
- Minimize shower shedding. It’s impossible to shower without losing some hair to the drain, but you can easily minimize hair-induced clogs by brushing or combing your hair right before you step into the shower. By doing this the majority of your loose hairs will end up in your brush rather than your drain!
- Bathe your pets outside. Weather permitting, washing your pets outside will keep loads of hair out of your drain. And during colder months when pets need to be bathed inside, you can block the drain with a washcloth to keep their fur out of your pipes OR opt to bathe them in a wash tub you can empty outside rather than in your bathtub.
- Give your garbage disposal a break. The more you compost, the less opportunity you’ll have to clog your garbage disposal. On top of that, using your garbage disposal less will also conserve water and energy!
- Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-315-5564
1. Frequent Repairs. Schedule maintenance is important to ensure your unit is running efficiently, but when the HVAC technician knows you and your dog by name, it might be time to consider a new AC unit. A simple, occasional repair will keep your unit running, but continuous repairs are expensive and a sign of decline.
2. Temperature Fluctuations. A well-functioning AC unit can keep up with changing outdoor conditions and maintain a comfortable, steady temperature at the right humidity levels. If your central AC unit used to keep your home consistently comfortable but stopped doing so, it’s time for an upgrade.
3. Rising Energy Bills. Air conditioning units that are starting to fail may consume more energy than they did when they functioned properly. This usually happens because the AC unit now needs to run longer or more frequently to maintain a consistent temperature. If your energy bills are on the rise, your AC unit may be the culprit.
4. Poor Operation. If your central air conditioning unit is making banging, grinding, or clanging noises, it may be on its last legs. Units that turn off and on frequently are also indicative of poor operation.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-315-5564
Replace the Air Filter
Replacing the air filter in your HVAC unit is one of the most effective ways you can improve its performance and your home’s air quality. As you would expect, a filter prevents debris and pollution from harming the entire system, and an old, dirty filter isn’t much use. In fact, a filter in need of replacing will slow air flow and increases your energy bill as the system works harder to heat or cool your home.
With these reasons in mind, be sure to replace your air filter frequently. As far as how frequently, this depends on the quality of your current filter, how much you use the furnace or air conditioning, and whether or not you own pets. Generally, the average suburban household should replace the air filter every 90 days. If allergies are a factor, or if you own several indoor pets, you may consider changing the filter every month. Here are a few other items to keep in mind:
- High-quality air filters save time and money. Contact your HVAC manufacturer and see what the professionals recommend.
- Extra use may cause dirt and grime to build up more quickly. Check the filter regularly to make sure it’s not clogged.
- Be prepared. Once you know what filter to buy, purchase several at a time to avoid putting it off when the time comes.
- Call Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
- Clogged toilets – During the warmer seasons of the year, school is out, and this can contribute to more toilet clogs. Having some kids in the house can mean more trips to the toilet and using too much toilet paper which results in clogs.
- Sewer line backups – Summers are typically the time for multiple thunderstorms and heavy rains. Although these are usually for the warmer months, this can cause problems with your sewer line.
- Water sprinkler problems – The time you use your water sprinkler the most is during the summer months. Keeping your lawn watered can contribute to having issues with this system.
- Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel free to call us toll-free at 888-315-5564
1. DRIPPING FAUCET
While in most cases you may be able to easily tighten a leaky faucet, not all faucets are quick fixes. A small leak may not seem like a big deal, but a leaky faucet dripping at the rate of one drop per second can waste up to 3,000 gallons in one year—the equivalent of 174 showers. It’ll likely cost you much more to let the faucet leak than it would to call a plumber.
2. POOR/INCONSISTENT WATER PRESSURE
Whether it’s poor water pressure from a single faucet or a common issue across your entire home, it’s best to call a Green Apple plumber if you’re having water pressure issues. While it may be as simple as cleaning out a single fixture or unclogging a pipe, there may be bigger issues with your water supply that need to be resolved.
3. FROZEN PIPES
Trying to thaw frozen pipes on your own could result in cracked pipes or even worse, full bursts. To save yourself from a huge mess, call a water damage restoration specialist.
4. WATER HEATER ISSUES
If your water isn’t getting hot enough or water temperature is inconsistent, it’s likely you have water heater issues that need to be looked at by a professional. If your water heater isn’t getting hot enough, it can become a cesspool for bacteria. And nobody likes sudden bursts of scalding water in the shower. Tinkering with a flammable, pressurized water heater on your own can be dangerous so leave it to the pros.
5. HOME RENOVATION PROJECTS
If you’re doing home renovations that involve plumbing in any way, it’s best to seek out the services of a plumber. They can ensure that all proper permits have been acquired and that all work is up to code.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-315-5564