With the temperatures rising during the day, you naturally want to keep your home cool and while temperatures drop at night, nature takes care of that for you. We know it’s tempting to turn your air conditioning unit off at night since you don’t need it to keep cool, but you might actually be using more energy to cool your home the next day than you thought.
By switching off your air conditioner at night, the temperature in your home gradually rises while you’re sleeping and by the time it hits mid-day, your home’s internal temperature without the A/C turned on will hit the point where you’re starting to feel the warmth. Once you turn your air conditioner back on it takes more energy to cool your home than it would have, had you left your air conditioner on the entire time.
To combat this problem we suggest that you leave your thermostat at a temperature you find bearable during the day and using ceiling fans to circulate the cool air throughout your home. If you don’t have ceiling fans, oscillating fans work great too. By doing this you’re cutting the cost on the amount of energy it takes to run your air conditioner at maximum performance to cool your home. Now all you have to do is sit back, relax, and enjoy that cool air brought to you.
Green Apple are the professionals you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns call toll-free at 888-315-5564
Repeatedly using liquid plumbers on drains that clog frequently can deteriorate your pipes and do more damage in the long run. If you experience repeat clogs in the same drains, nix the use of liquid plumbers and call in the Green Apple professionals instead. It will save you time and money in the long run.
Liquid plumbers are corrosive and can cause injury if handled or used improperly. Always observe the safety precautions on the container and never combine them with other ingredients. If you have used a liquid plumber in your drain and later call in a plumber, show them the container and tell him you have used it in the drain. If your Green Apple plumber is unaware and uses an industrial cleaner in the drain, the chemicals may interact causing an explosion or releasing dangerous gases.
Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing NJ are the professionals you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-315-5564
Kitchen drains often clog due to debris or wastes going down the sink that shouldn’t. To prevent clogged drains in this room, never put grease or oils down the sink. This includes cooking oils and fats, such as butter, that can congeal in the pipes, blocking water flow.
Improper use of the garbage disposal is another common reason for clogged kitchen drains. Follow this kitchen plumbing maintenance checklist to help you avoid this problem:
- Always turn your water and disposal on before adding food.
- Never put fibrous or stringy food wastes down the disposal. These include banana peels, celery, potato peels, and other foods that are difficult to grind up.
- Always allow the cold water to run for at least 15 seconds after using the disposal. This ensures food wastes are flushed down the main line.
- Run your dishwasher at night to conserve hot water and maintain good water pressure throughout the day.
In the Bathroom
The bathroom is another room where drains often become clogged. You can reduce clogs and even prevent them by following this plumbing maintenance checklist:
- Keep shower and sink drains flowing freely by reducing your use of bath oils and installing screens over drains to prevent hair from going down the drain.
- Avoid toilet clogs by not using it as a trash can. Ideally, only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed. While tampons and some wipes are labeled as flushable, it is better not to do so.
- Wait about 10 minutes between showers to help maintain proper water pressure and hot water throughout the day. Maintaining proper water pressure helps prevent unwanted stress on your home plumbing system.
- Avoid using chemical clog removal products that can cause more harm than good. These products can corrode your pipes!
Think of all the products you use to wash, moisturize and condition. They are often oily or greasy in order to provide moisture for your skin and hair. Once they make their way down your drain, however, they can cling to pipes, attract other debris and cause blockages.
If you have any questions or concerns call toll-free at 888-315-5564
During cold fall nights, your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system becomes the most valuable equipment in your home. But if it’s running poorly, that means less comfort and higher energy bills for homeowners. Heating your home and producing hot water are generally the largest energy expenses for any homeowner, so you can ensure your home heating bill remains as reasonable as possible by supporting your HVAC system and keeping it running properly.
Complete these tips in the fall to help your HVAC system operate efficiently throughout the winter. This way, you can save money to be enjoyed in other ways during the holiday season.
Change the Air Filter and Clean the Vents
Changing the air filter every month is one of the most important things you can do to support your HVAC system. It’s also one of the easiest. The filter should be checked every month and replaced if it is dirty. Filters should be replaced at the very least every three months – no matter what. Keep up with this simple project by choosing a regular day to check the filter, such as the first or last day of the month.
The same day the filter is replaced is also a good time to vacuum off the air vents. This keeps them clean and allows warm air to flow freely, easing temperature regulation throughout the home.
Have It Inspected
Yearly service of your HVAC system ensures it runs properly. Homeowners should have the system inspected in the fall to best prepare it for the demands of winter. The Department of Energy website offers a list of helpful instructions to help homeowners.
If Your HVAC System is Ancient, Replace It
Replacing the home’s HVAC system can be an expensive proposition, but if your system is old and inefficient, the added comfort and financial benefits of a new system can be very real. If your system is more than 10 years old, ask a Green Apple technician’s opinion on the longevity of your system. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, replacing it with a new high-efficiency model could reduce your home’s annual energy bill by as much as 20-40 percent.
Call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564 with any questions or concerns you may have.
- Save Yourself Money – By replacing your system in the fall, you put time on your side. Time to research the type of equipment that would be best for your situation instead of just replicating whatever you had before. Fall replacements also give you time to search for the best HVAC system. Since most contractors are in between the cooling and heating seasons, they will be much more available and willing to spend time with you to help you figure out the best ways to solve your cooling problems. Since investments in new HVAC systems can be significant, this time also allows you to plan. You might even consider covering it under a home equity loan, thus saving on financing costs.
Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel to call Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
If you notice that your plumbing has been giving you problems lately, check your yards. Those beautiful orange leaves can be the biggest culprits here. This is primarily because a lot of leaves fall and accumulate in one location during the season. They can easily be blown into your drainage system and block everything. Winds, rain and sometimes even traffic are the factors which play a big part in pushing those leaves in your drainage system.
Fortunately, this problem can also be handled easily by a professional Green Apple plumber. Let them have a thorough check on the system. They might replace your drain cover so that this problem does not reoccur. Many covers are manufactured to fit a particular drain; hence it’s crucial to get them properly measured and fitted by a professional only.
We really hope that you understand the importance of a professional Green Apple plumber. Save yourself from all the drama of “trial & fix error” and hire a professional Green Apple plumber. It costs more money to fix the damage caused inadequately than with a professional expert. We have insight, deep knowledge and troubleshooting plans to tackle all plumbing related problems.
We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-315-5564
Although the first hint of cool fall weather may have you more focused on your furnace, this is the perfect time to install a new central air conditioning system. By getting the job done now, you’ll save money compared to the summertime costs and you’ll be ready to go with a reliable, energy-efficient cooling system next year.
FIND GREAT DEALS ON NEW A/C SYSTEMS
A new central cooling system is an investment. Even though upgrading to a more efficient air conditioner will lower your cooling bills, it’s still worth it to save as much as you can on upfront purchase costs.
Many homeowners upgrade or install a new central A/C in early summer when they decide not to spend another hot summer without reliable air conditioning. Others are forced to replace their systems in the middle of summer when their existing cooling system breaks down. This keeps A/C system prices high all summer.
Come fall, demand for air conditioners drops off. HVAC equipment sellers who still have plenty of stock left over from summer often discount it to move it out of their inventory before winter. It’s a little like garden furniture going on sale at the end of summer.
IN THE FALL, TECHNICIANS ARE AVAILABLE AND AFFORDABLE
Fall is one of the slowest periods for heating and cooling technicians. Thanks to the mild weather, the start of school and the upcoming holidays, many homeowners forget all about their air conditioners.
That means not only do many HVAC specialists have open spots in their work schedules, but they also offer favorable pricing to encourage customers to call in and fill those spots. Prices for HVAC services are lower in fall than at any other time of year.
Install a new central A/C in fall and not only can you get a good deal on installation work, but you also have a better chance of getting scheduled in with the kind of highly trained, experienced technician you want.
Putting in an air conditioner requires outdoor work, including digging. You might find air conditioners on sale in December, but getting the system installed in New Jersey’s cold, snowy winter weather may not always be possible. Even when it is, heating and cooling technicians usually have their schedules full with furnace installation and repair work.
DITCH THOSE WINDOW UNITS
The window A/C units used in many homes have several drawbacks. Inconvenience is one. They’re usually put in place at the beginning of summer, then removed and put into storage come fall. In addition, window units can be uncomfortably loud, older models aren’t energy efficient, and any unsealed gaps around the units cause air leaks that let in hot, humid outdoor air.
Install a new central A/C this fall and it will be the last time you’ll ever have to pull out those window units and haul them to storage. Next summer, you’ll enjoy cool air in every room without any irritating noise. There’s a good chance your cooling bills will be lower, too.
Keep in mind if your home uses radiators, baseboard heaters or another ductless heating method, you’ll need to have ducts installed along with the new air conditioner. Duct sizing and installation adds time to the system installation job, so start early before the cold weather arrives.
KNOW WHEN TO REPLACE THE A/C
If you already have a central air conditioner, but you’ve been considering upgrading, there are a few clear signs that tell you this fall is the time to do it.
- The system is old – An air conditioner that’s more than 10 years old runs less efficiently than modern systems and is at high risk for component failure no matter how well it seems to be running.
- The A/C has frequent breakdowns – Have you had to call a repair technician this year, last year and the year before that? Take time this fall to buy and install a new central A/C and next summer you’ll spend less time and money on A/C repairs, as well as enjoy lower energy bills and improved cooling performance.
- Cooling bills are rising – If every summer brings cooling bills that are much higher than the last, chances are it’s due to the steady drop in energy efficiency your system experiences as it ages.
- Looks Can Be Deceiving – Upon initial inspection of your filter, you may notice that it appears to be clean. Although the outside may look this way, there could be dust and dirt particles lodged on the inside. Leaving a filter in for too long can decrease efficiency and even harm the system. A quick inspection of the inside, as well as a comparison of your current filter to a new one, could help in making the decision whether a replacement is necessary or not.
- 20 Minutes or Less – Changing your home air filter is not a daunting task. By following the instructions that came with the system itself, or the ones usually provided with the replacement filter, replacing the filter shouldn’t take any more than 20 minutes. However, if you find that the task becomes too complicated, call Green Apple for assistance.
- When to Call a Professional – Even if you are changing the filter regularly, if it comes out appearing extremely dirty, cleaner than expected, or has insects or mold visible, have the system inspected by a Green Apple technician. Also, if particles are visibly being released from indoor registers, we would recommend calling a Green Apple technician for inspection.
- Call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564
Regularly clean your ducts
The ducts in your home are just as susceptible to the buildup of dust and debris as any of the other parts of your HVAC system. Regularly cleaning and maintaining them will keep the unit running at maximum efficiency and add years to any HVAC system.
Basic cleaning of the ducts in your home is something you can do yourself if you are willing to put in the time and effort. You will simply need a vacuum cleaner to get most of the debris and a brush to get the rest of the smaller particles. However, to clean an entire air duct systems, you will need to hire a Green Apple HVAC professional. They will come equipped with a special vacuum truck, motorized brushes, and various accessories to ensure your ducts are cleaned properly to work to maximum efficiency.
Invest in regular inspections
While there’s a good deal of prevention and HVAC maintenance you can do on your own, your HVAC system should also receive regular inspections from certified Green Apple professionals. An HVAC system is a complicated piece of technology and there are many variables that contribute to it running at maximum efficiency. That’s why you should look for a Green Apple HVAC technician. Your HVAC engineer can give you recommendations as to how best to increase the efficiency of your system as well as make repairs as necessary.
Upgrade your HVAC system
At some point, it’s a good idea to upgrade your system to the most modern version. Modern HVAC systems are more energy efficient and reliable than ever before. A good system will last you many years and although having a new HVAC system installed can seem costly, ultimately it will save you a good deal of money in the long run. Contact Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing to get a consultation on the best HVAC system to set up in your home or business.
Call toll-free at 888-315-5564
Homeowners that experience running or leaky toilets is one of the most frequent questions that people ask Green Apple plumbers.
The typical reason that toilets run is the flap in the bottom of the tank is not sealing shut. Ever wonder why jiggling the handle generally works to stop the running water?
To fix a running toilet, take the top off the tank and flush the toilet while watching the rubber flap.
Does it completely close?
If not, some of the water that is entering the tank is flowing out through an unsealed flap. The unsealed flap means water continues to run because the float ball trigger is never activated to stop the flow since water never reaches the fill line.
That jiggle? The handle is connected to the rubber flap with a chain, and jiggling it will reposition the flap so that it may seal more securely.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you are experiencing any problems or concerns with any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564