Kitchen drains often clog due to debris or wastes going down the sink that shouldn’t. To prevent clogged drains in this room, never put grease or oils down the sink. This includes cooking oils and fats, such as butter, that can congeal in the pipes, blocking water flow.
Improper use of the garbage disposal is another common reason for clogged kitchen drains. Follow this kitchen plumbing maintenance checklist to help you avoid this problem:
- Always turn your water and disposal on before adding food.
- Never put fibrous or stringy food wastes down the disposal. These include banana peels, celery, potato peels, and other foods that are difficult to grind up.
- Always allow the cold water to run for at least 15 seconds after using the disposal. This ensures food wastes are flushed down the main line.
- Run your dishwasher at night to conserve hot water and maintain good water pressure throughout the day.
In the Bathroom
The bathroom is another room where drains often become clogged. You can reduce clogs and even prevent them by following this plumbing maintenance checklist:
- Keep shower and sink drains flowing freely by reducing your use of bath oils and installing screens over drains to prevent hair from going down the drain.
- Avoid toilet clogs by not using it as a trash can. Ideally, only human waste and toilet paper should be flushed. While tampons and some wipes are labeled as flushable, it is better not to do so.
- Wait about 10 minutes between showers to help maintain proper water pressure and hot water throughout the day. Maintaining proper water pressure helps prevent unwanted stress on your home plumbing system.
- Avoid using chemical clog removal products that can cause more harm than good. These products can corrode your pipes!
Think of all the products you use to wash, moisturize and condition. They are often oily or greasy in order to provide moisture for your skin and hair. Once they make their way down your drain, however, they can cling to pipes, attract other debris and cause blockages.
If you have any questions or concerns call toll-free at 888-315-5564
During cold fall nights, your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system becomes the most valuable equipment in your home. But if it’s running poorly, that means less comfort and higher energy bills for homeowners. Heating your home and producing hot water are generally the largest energy expenses for any homeowner, so you can ensure your home heating bill remains as reasonable as possible by supporting your HVAC system and keeping it running properly.
Complete these tips in the fall to help your HVAC system operate efficiently throughout the winter. This way, you can save money to be enjoyed in other ways during the holiday season.
Change the Air Filter and Clean the Vents
Changing the air filter every month is one of the most important things you can do to support your HVAC system. It’s also one of the easiest. The filter should be checked every month and replaced if it is dirty. Filters should be replaced at the very least every three months – no matter what. Keep up with this simple project by choosing a regular day to check the filter, such as the first or last day of the month.
The same day the filter is replaced is also a good time to vacuum off the air vents. This keeps them clean and allows warm air to flow freely, easing temperature regulation throughout the home.
Have It Inspected
Yearly service of your HVAC system ensures it runs properly. Homeowners should have the system inspected in the fall to best prepare it for the demands of winter. The Department of Energy website offers a list of helpful instructions to help homeowners.
If Your HVAC System is Ancient, Replace It
Replacing the home’s HVAC system can be an expensive proposition, but if your system is old and inefficient, the added comfort and financial benefits of a new system can be very real. If your system is more than 10 years old, ask a Green Apple technician’s opinion on the longevity of your system. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, replacing it with a new high-efficiency model could reduce your home’s annual energy bill by as much as 20-40 percent.
Call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564 with any questions or concerns you may have.
- Save Yourself Money – By replacing your system in the fall, you put time on your side. Time to research the type of equipment that would be best for your situation instead of just replicating whatever you had before. Fall replacements also give you time to search for the best HVAC system. Since most contractors are in between the cooling and heating seasons, they will be much more available and willing to spend time with you to help you figure out the best ways to solve your cooling problems. Since investments in new HVAC systems can be significant, this time also allows you to plan. You might even consider covering it under a home equity loan, thus saving on financing costs.
Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel to call Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
Regularly clean your ducts
The ducts in your home are just as susceptible to the buildup of dust and debris as any of the other parts of your HVAC system. Regularly cleaning and maintaining them will keep the unit running at maximum efficiency and add years to any HVAC system.
Basic cleaning of the ducts in your home is something you can do yourself if you are willing to put in the time and effort. You will simply need a vacuum cleaner to get most of the debris and a brush to get the rest of the smaller particles. However, to clean an entire air duct systems, you will need to hire a Green Apple HVAC professional. They will come equipped with a special vacuum truck, motorized brushes, and various accessories to ensure your ducts are cleaned properly to work to maximum efficiency.
Invest in regular inspections
While there’s a good deal of prevention and HVAC maintenance you can do on your own, your HVAC system should also receive regular inspections from certified Green Apple professionals. An HVAC system is a complicated piece of technology and there are many variables that contribute to it running at maximum efficiency. That’s why you should look for a Green Apple HVAC technician. Your HVAC engineer can give you recommendations as to how best to increase the efficiency of your system as well as make repairs as necessary.
Upgrade your HVAC system
At some point, it’s a good idea to upgrade your system to the most modern version. Modern HVAC systems are more energy efficient and reliable than ever before. A good system will last you many years and although having a new HVAC system installed can seem costly, ultimately it will save you a good deal of money in the long run. Contact Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing to get a consultation on the best HVAC system to set up in your home or business.
Call toll-free at 888-315-5564
Homeowners that experience running or leaky toilets is one of the most frequent questions that people ask Green Apple plumbers.
The typical reason that toilets run is the flap in the bottom of the tank is not sealing shut. Ever wonder why jiggling the handle generally works to stop the running water?
To fix a running toilet, take the top off the tank and flush the toilet while watching the rubber flap.
Does it completely close?
If not, some of the water that is entering the tank is flowing out through an unsealed flap. The unsealed flap means water continues to run because the float ball trigger is never activated to stop the flow since water never reaches the fill line.
That jiggle? The handle is connected to the rubber flap with a chain, and jiggling it will reposition the flap so that it may seal more securely.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you are experiencing any problems or concerns with any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564
Longer Life Span
The average life of a home’s air conditioning system is said to be between 10 and 20 years. But, a well-maintained unit can last as many as 30 years. Air conditioning units that receive little to no care may not even make it to their tenth birthday, a huge difference in lifespan.
Fewer Repair Bills
A potentially hazardous condition can be caught early by a qualified and experienced air conditioning technician. Preventative care for your unit can help to eliminate or lower the possibility for costly repair bills in the future.
A brand new air conditioner, by contrast, will cost several thousand dollars. Even small repairs can run several hundred dollars. A qualified Green Apple technician can often find and address small problems with A/C units through a regular inspection that, left unnoticed, could grow into larger, more expensive issues.
WHAT ABOUT DURING THE REST OF YEAR?
In between your annual ac maintenance calls, there are a few things you can do to help to increase the efficiency of your NJ’s home’s air conditioner:
Periodically inspect the outdoor unit for damage, and keep the area around the unit free of dirt, debris, weeds, foliage, leaves and twigs.
Turn up the thermostat
When you’re not home or on vacation, turn up the air conditioner until you return. This will lessen the load on your system, and it will last longer. Many of the newer thermostats also have schedules that you can use to choose different settings for different times of the day according to your personal schedule.
Make sure indoor air vents are free of dust, lint, obstructions, hair and pet dander.
As your HVAC system runs, it accumulates dust and dirt in key areas that affect its efficiency, like the condensing coils and air filters. Left unchecked, your A/C system can lose up to 5 percent of its operating efficiency each year because of this buildup, meaning it can’t cool your house to the best of its ability as it could if it were clean.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
1. Frequent Repairs. Schedule maintenance is important to ensure your unit is running efficiently, but when the HVAC technician knows you and your dog by name, it might be time to consider a new AC unit. A simple, occasional repair will keep your unit running, but continuous repairs are expensive and a sign of decline.
2. Temperature Fluctuations. A well-functioning AC unit can keep up with changing outdoor conditions and maintain a comfortable, steady temperature at the right humidity levels. If your central AC unit used to keep your home consistently comfortable but stopped doing so, it’s time for an upgrade.
3. Rising Energy Bills. Air conditioning units that are starting to fail may consume more energy than they did when they functioned properly. This usually happens because the AC unit now needs to run longer or more frequently to maintain a consistent temperature. If your energy bills are on the rise, your AC unit may be the culprit.
4. Poor Operation. If your central air conditioning unit is making banging, grinding, or clanging noises, it may be on its last legs. Units that turn off and on frequently are also indicative of poor operation.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-315-5564
Replace the Air Filter
Replacing the air filter in your HVAC unit is one of the most effective ways you can improve its performance and your home’s air quality. As you would expect, a filter prevents debris and pollution from harming the entire system, and an old, dirty filter isn’t much use. In fact, a filter in need of replacing will slow air flow and increases your energy bill as the system works harder to heat or cool your home.
With these reasons in mind, be sure to replace your air filter frequently. As far as how frequently, this depends on the quality of your current filter, how much you use the furnace or air conditioning, and whether or not you own pets. Generally, the average suburban household should replace the air filter every 90 days. If allergies are a factor, or if you own several indoor pets, you may consider changing the filter every month. Here are a few other items to keep in mind:
- High-quality air filters save time and money. Contact your HVAC manufacturer and see what the professionals recommend.
- Extra use may cause dirt and grime to build up more quickly. Check the filter regularly to make sure it’s not clogged.
- Be prepared. Once you know what filter to buy, purchase several at a time to avoid putting it off when the time comes.
- Call Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
- Clogged toilets – During the warmer seasons of the year, school is out, and this can contribute to more toilet clogs. Having some kids in the house can mean more trips to the toilet and using too much toilet paper which results in clogs.
- Sewer line backups – Summers are typically the time for multiple thunderstorms and heavy rains. Although these are usually for the warmer months, this can cause problems with your sewer line.
- Water sprinkler problems – The time you use your water sprinkler the most is during the summer months. Keeping your lawn watered can contribute to having issues with this system.
- Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel free to call us toll-free at 888-315-5564
Poor Air Flow
If you are noticing weak or little air flow through your AC vents, the unit’s compressor may be failing. In case your areas or rooms in your home are getting cold air while others are not, then the trouble might be with your ductwork and it’s a sign that your AC system needs urgent repair.
Over time, debris can get stuck in your air conditioning vents. Not only this obstructs airflow, but it also presents a health risk to you and your family. Having your air conditioner’s ducts cleaned is a great way to restore airflow and ensure that your AC system is working well when you need it most.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564