- Looks Can Be Deceiving – Upon initial inspection of your filter, you may notice that it appears to be clean. Although the outside may look this way, there could be dust and dirt particles lodged on the inside. Leaving a filter in for too long can decrease efficiency and even harm the system. A quick inspection of the inside, as well as a comparison of your current filter to a new one, could help in making the decision whether a replacement is necessary or not.
- 20 Minutes or Less – Changing your home air filter is not a daunting task. By following the instructions that came with the system itself, or the ones usually provided with the replacement filter, replacing the filter shouldn’t take any more than 20 minutes. However, if you find that the task becomes too complicated, call Green Apple for assistance.
- When to Call a Professional – Even if you are changing the filter regularly, if it comes out appearing extremely dirty, cleaner than expected, or has insects or mold visible, have the system inspected by a Green Apple technician. Also, if particles are visibly being released from indoor registers, we would recommend calling a Green Apple technician for inspection.
- Call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564
Regularly clean your ducts
The ducts in your home are just as susceptible to the buildup of dust and debris as any of the other parts of your HVAC system. Regularly cleaning and maintaining them will keep the unit running at maximum efficiency and add years to any HVAC system.
Basic cleaning of the ducts in your home is something you can do yourself if you are willing to put in the time and effort. You will simply need a vacuum cleaner to get most of the debris and a brush to get the rest of the smaller particles. However, to clean an entire air duct systems, you will need to hire a Green Apple HVAC professional. They will come equipped with a special vacuum truck, motorized brushes, and various accessories to ensure your ducts are cleaned properly to work to maximum efficiency.
Invest in regular inspections
While there’s a good deal of prevention and HVAC maintenance you can do on your own, your HVAC system should also receive regular inspections from certified Green Apple professionals. An HVAC system is a complicated piece of technology and there are many variables that contribute to it running at maximum efficiency. That’s why you should look for a Green Apple HVAC technician. Your HVAC engineer can give you recommendations as to how best to increase the efficiency of your system as well as make repairs as necessary.
Upgrade your HVAC system
At some point, it’s a good idea to upgrade your system to the most modern version. Modern HVAC systems are more energy efficient and reliable than ever before. A good system will last you many years and although having a new HVAC system installed can seem costly, ultimately it will save you a good deal of money in the long run. Contact Green Apple Mechanical & Plumbing to get a consultation on the best HVAC system to set up in your home or business.
Call toll-free at 888-315-5564
Homeowners that experience running or leaky toilets is one of the most frequent questions that people ask Green Apple plumbers.
The typical reason that toilets run is the flap in the bottom of the tank is not sealing shut. Ever wonder why jiggling the handle generally works to stop the running water?
To fix a running toilet, take the top off the tank and flush the toilet while watching the rubber flap.
Does it completely close?
If not, some of the water that is entering the tank is flowing out through an unsealed flap. The unsealed flap means water continues to run because the float ball trigger is never activated to stop the flow since water never reaches the fill line.
That jiggle? The handle is connected to the rubber flap with a chain, and jiggling it will reposition the flap so that it may seal more securely.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you are experiencing any problems or concerns with any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564
Longer Life Span
The average life of a home’s air conditioning system is said to be between 10 and 20 years. But, a well-maintained unit can last as many as 30 years. Air conditioning units that receive little to no care may not even make it to their tenth birthday, a huge difference in lifespan.
Fewer Repair Bills
A potentially hazardous condition can be caught early by a qualified and experienced air conditioning technician. Preventative care for your unit can help to eliminate or lower the possibility for costly repair bills in the future.
A brand new air conditioner, by contrast, will cost several thousand dollars. Even small repairs can run several hundred dollars. A qualified Green Apple technician can often find and address small problems with A/C units through a regular inspection that, left unnoticed, could grow into larger, more expensive issues.
WHAT ABOUT DURING THE REST OF YEAR?
In between your annual ac maintenance calls, there are a few things you can do to help to increase the efficiency of your NJ’s home’s air conditioner:
Periodically inspect the outdoor unit for damage, and keep the area around the unit free of dirt, debris, weeds, foliage, leaves and twigs.
Turn up the thermostat
When you’re not home or on vacation, turn up the air conditioner until you return. This will lessen the load on your system, and it will last longer. Many of the newer thermostats also have schedules that you can use to choose different settings for different times of the day according to your personal schedule.
Make sure indoor air vents are free of dust, lint, obstructions, hair and pet dander.
As your HVAC system runs, it accumulates dust and dirt in key areas that affect its efficiency, like the condensing coils and air filters. Left unchecked, your A/C system can lose up to 5 percent of its operating efficiency each year because of this buildup, meaning it can’t cool your house to the best of its ability as it could if it were clean.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-611-7191
- Cover your drains. The best AND easiest way to keep your drains clog-free is to keep everything but water out in the first place. By placing mesh screens over all of your drains, you’ll be able to catch and remove hair, food particles, and other debris.
- Pro Tip: Don’t want mesh screens to clash with your décor? Mesh screens can easily be installed under your shower drain cover, so you’ll still be able to catch debris without having to look at the buildup.
- Minimize shower shedding. It’s impossible to shower without losing some hair to the drain, but you can easily minimize hair-induced clogs by brushing or combing your hair right before you step into the shower. By doing this the majority of your loose hairs will end up in your brush rather than your drain!
- Bathe your pets outside. Weather permitting, washing your pets outside will keep loads of hair out of your drain. And during colder months when pets need to be bathed inside, you can block the drain with a washcloth to keep their fur out of your pipes OR opt to bathe them in a wash tub you can empty outside rather than in your bathtub.
- Give your garbage disposal a break. The more you compost, the less opportunity you’ll have to clog your garbage disposal. On top of that, using your garbage disposal less will also conserve water and energy!
- Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call toll-free at 888-315-5564
1. Frequent Repairs. Schedule maintenance is important to ensure your unit is running efficiently, but when the HVAC technician knows you and your dog by name, it might be time to consider a new AC unit. A simple, occasional repair will keep your unit running, but continuous repairs are expensive and a sign of decline.
2. Temperature Fluctuations. A well-functioning AC unit can keep up with changing outdoor conditions and maintain a comfortable, steady temperature at the right humidity levels. If your central AC unit used to keep your home consistently comfortable but stopped doing so, it’s time for an upgrade.
3. Rising Energy Bills. Air conditioning units that are starting to fail may consume more energy than they did when they functioned properly. This usually happens because the AC unit now needs to run longer or more frequently to maintain a consistent temperature. If your energy bills are on the rise, your AC unit may be the culprit.
4. Poor Operation. If your central air conditioning unit is making banging, grinding, or clanging noises, it may be on its last legs. Units that turn off and on frequently are also indicative of poor operation.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-315-5564
Replace the Air Filter
Replacing the air filter in your HVAC unit is one of the most effective ways you can improve its performance and your home’s air quality. As you would expect, a filter prevents debris and pollution from harming the entire system, and an old, dirty filter isn’t much use. In fact, a filter in need of replacing will slow air flow and increases your energy bill as the system works harder to heat or cool your home.
With these reasons in mind, be sure to replace your air filter frequently. As far as how frequently, this depends on the quality of your current filter, how much you use the furnace or air conditioning, and whether or not you own pets. Generally, the average suburban household should replace the air filter every 90 days. If allergies are a factor, or if you own several indoor pets, you may consider changing the filter every month. Here are a few other items to keep in mind:
- High-quality air filters save time and money. Contact your HVAC manufacturer and see what the professionals recommend.
- Extra use may cause dirt and grime to build up more quickly. Check the filter regularly to make sure it’s not clogged.
- Be prepared. Once you know what filter to buy, purchase several at a time to avoid putting it off when the time comes.
- Call Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
- Clogged toilets – During the warmer seasons of the year, school is out, and this can contribute to more toilet clogs. Having some kids in the house can mean more trips to the toilet and using too much toilet paper which results in clogs.
- Sewer line backups – Summers are typically the time for multiple thunderstorms and heavy rains. Although these are usually for the warmer months, this can cause problems with your sewer line.
- Water sprinkler problems – The time you use your water sprinkler the most is during the summer months. Keeping your lawn watered can contribute to having issues with this system.
- Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs please feel free to call us toll-free at 888-315-5564
Poor Air Flow
If you are noticing weak or little air flow through your AC vents, the unit’s compressor may be failing. In case your areas or rooms in your home are getting cold air while others are not, then the trouble might be with your ductwork and it’s a sign that your AC system needs urgent repair.
Over time, debris can get stuck in your air conditioning vents. Not only this obstructs airflow, but it also presents a health risk to you and your family. Having your air conditioner’s ducts cleaned is a great way to restore airflow and ensure that your AC system is working well when you need it most.
Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
1. DRIPPING FAUCET
While in most cases you may be able to easily tighten a leaky faucet, not all faucets are quick fixes. A small leak may not seem like a big deal, but a leaky faucet dripping at the rate of one drop per second can waste up to 3,000 gallons in one year—the equivalent of 174 showers. It’ll likely cost you much more to let the faucet leak than it would to call a plumber.
2. POOR/INCONSISTENT WATER PRESSURE
Whether it’s poor water pressure from a single faucet or a common issue across your entire home, it’s best to call a Green Apple plumber if you’re having water pressure issues. While it may be as simple as cleaning out a single fixture or unclogging a pipe, there may be bigger issues with your water supply that need to be resolved.
3. FROZEN PIPES
Trying to thaw frozen pipes on your own could result in cracked pipes or even worse, full bursts. To save yourself from a huge mess, call a water damage restoration specialist.
4. WATER HEATER ISSUES
If your water isn’t getting hot enough or water temperature is inconsistent, it’s likely you have water heater issues that need to be looked at by a professional. If your water heater isn’t getting hot enough, it can become a cesspool for bacteria. And nobody likes sudden bursts of scalding water in the shower. Tinkering with a flammable, pressurized water heater on your own can be dangerous so leave it to the pros.
5. HOME RENOVATION PROJECTS
If you’re doing home renovations that involve plumbing in any way, it’s best to seek out the services of a plumber. They can ensure that all proper permits have been acquired and that all work is up to code.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs call us toll-free at 888-315-5564