1. DECORATIVE INSULATION
Carpeting and area rugs on floors help insulate against drafts. They also feel great underfoot, help with soundproofing, and make us feel warmer because they’re so cozy looking.
2. KEEP A GOOD HUMIDITY LEVEL
Most people notice that the air in our homes tends to be really dry in winter. It’s not only drying on skin and throats, but it can make us feel colder than we really are. Using a humidifier to bring your humidity level up to about 40% will help transfer heat better. You can lower the setting on the thermostat and not notice it. More humidity is also better for wood floors and furniture and can help prevent asthma and allergy attacks.
3. MAKE SURE YOUR GARAGE DOOR IS SEALED
The garage is one of the biggest culprits of energy loss in the modern home. Make sure the garage door is touching all the way down and there aren’t any drafts around the sides are top.
By following these tips, you’ll keep your furnace running smoothly all winter long. You’ll also stay cozy and warm for less money.
We are the professionals you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
1-KEEP THE AREA AROUND THE FURNACE CLEAR
Most furnaces are kept in the basement, where we also love to store extra belongings. It’s really important to keep a three to five foot area around your furnace completely clear of stored items. This is a safety issue because there is burning gas in the furnace. But it also helps the furnace run smoother because air can circulate freely.
2-. CURTAINS ARE A GREAT WAY TO SAVE ENERGY
Strategically using your curtains can make a noticeable difference in your energy bill. By closing them at night, you can prevent heat loss to the cold outdoors.
Opening them in the day on the south or west-facing windows allows warm sunshine to enter and heat the inside of your home, just like with a car left in a parking lot. On any north windows, try to keep them closed, even during the day.
3. GET REGULAR FURNACE TUNE-UPS
Make sure you have your furnace inspected and tuned up every year by Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ to ensure its running at peak efficiency. One faulty part can place a strain on the rest of the system, and can lead to sudden breakdowns.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your plumbing or HVAC needs call us toll-free at 888-315-5564
- To prevent excessive watering of your lawn in the summertime, purchase an inexpensive spring-loaded timer that attaches directly to your outside faucet. This will prevent overwatering in case you forget to shut off the sprinkler.
- Water pressure in your home above 60 pounds per square inch is harmful to your plumbing system and will cause excessive water usage. Contact your local water authority to find out what the water pressure is on your street. If it exceeds 60 pounds, consider installing a pressure-reducing valve that will limit the water pressure within your home.
- Check your water meter during a period of time when no water is being used. Make a note of the meter reading and check it 8 to 10 hours later. If the meter has moved, there is an indication that you may have an undetected water leak, which should be corrected.
- Leaky toilets consume more than 40% of your total water usage. Installation of a new toilet flapper and fill valve will keep your toilet running efficiently.
- Replacing an old showerhead can save up to 7.5 gallons of water per minute without sacrificing full spray action at low or high water pressures.
- If you have any questions or concerns call Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
Clean Out Air Registers
The air registers in your home gather a ton of dust, pet hair, bits of food and other stray items over time. A clogged air register has effects similar to those of a bad filter. The packed in dust and dirt restricts airflow, dirties the air and makes the furnace work harder to get the house up to the temperature you need.
Remove all the floor registers in your home and remove any obstructions with a high powered vacuum. By cleaning out the registers, you take an easy step toward ensuring your furnace isn’t working harder than it needs to.
If you have any questions or concern about the air quality of your HVAC system be sure to call your friends at Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564. We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority.
- Test the faucets both inside and out. To do so, turn on the hot and cold water one at a time. You may notice some air in the lines in your outdoor faucets, but don’t be alarmed. This is normal if you turned the water off during the colder months.
- Inspect your pipes. Drastic changes in temperature at the end of winter can compromise the integrity of your pipes potentially causing them to burst or leak. For this reason, it’s imperative that you know how to shut the water off to your house quickly. Take this time to test shutoff valves.
- Flush the water heater. Since you should be flushing it once a year, take this time to get rid of sediment in the tank. If you turned up the thermostat for hotter water during the winter, bring it back down to 120°.
- Reattach garden hoses and check for leaks. It’s that time of year again – where you’ll be spending time outside gardening or washing your car. Reattach hoses, turn on the spigots and check for leaks. Leaky hose bibs can drive up your water bill.
- Clean out the gutters. We all know how much rain we can get during the spring season so take this time to clean out the gutters. It’s also important to make sure they are draining properly and that water is redirected away from your home and foundation.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
Provides an Extended Life for Your Furnace
You want your furnace to last the 15 to 20 years it was meant to, but without Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ, you’re more likely to get about 10. Wear and tear increases without the correct maintenance which can cause your system to fail. Having your furnace looked at every year can prevent moisture and grime build ups, which in turn prevents rust and air flow problems. It also saves you the money of having to replace it with a new model.
It may not seem like a big issue to skip your yearly furnace check-up, but you can be inviting trouble if you do. Have us over to inspect. Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ will keep your family safe and comfortable and save you some major expenses down the line.
We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. Call us today for a proper inspection toll-free at 888-315-5564
A Lack of Hot Water
A lack of hot water is usually the result of a failed water heater. Water heater defects can stem from a variety of issues, ranging from total breakdowns to minor component defects. Regardless of the source of your water heater’s failure, it’s a good idea to hire a Green Apple plumber or technician to handle the job. Water heaters operate using electrical and gas systems. Mistakes working with these devices can result in personal injury and damage to your home.
Here at Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ we are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your plumbing or HVAC needs feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical toll-free at 888-315-5564
Your furnace needs to be properly sized to your home. Some homeowners think that the larger the furnace, the warmer their home will be—but this could not be more false. Oversized furnaces can make your home uncomfortably warm in certain areas while other areas remain too cold. And they will not operate efficiently because they spend a majority of the time warming up only to shut off without completing a full cycle since it does not fit your home correctly.
If you are unsure of the proper size of what your furnace should then make sure to contact the experts at Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ. Green Apple are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the New Jersey area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. If you have any questions or concerns regarding any of your HVAC or plumbing needs feel free to call your friends at Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ toll-free at 888-315-5564
- Check for plumbing leaks
Be sure to look at both your faucets and toilets for any leaks. You want to confirm there is no water dripping out of or around the connections when you shut off your faucets. If there is, installing new fixtures or repairing the leak could help better the faucet’s function and may even lower your water bill.
After the faucets, inspect any accessible pipes for evidence of leaks. You can often see visible pipes in basements and below sinks. Extreme weather can cause pipes to freeze and sometimes crack. Spring is the ideal time to make sure the winter weather didn’t cause any damage that would result in plumbing problems.
Be sure to contact the professionals at Green Apple Plumbing & Mechanical NJ with any questions or concerns you might be experiencing. We are the experts you can trust. We have been serving the NJ area for years with professionalism and expertise. Customer service and care are always our number one priority. Call Green Apple toll-free at 888-315-5564
OTHER CAUSES OF INEFFICIENCY
If your furnace is more than ten years old it might be time to look into purchasing a new furnace. The one you have now may not be the right size for your home and its energy requirements.
There are newer, more efficient furnaces coming out on the market all the time, so if your furnace is over ten years old you’re definitely not getting the maximum efficiency level. It can be quite an eye-opener how much you can save in energy, and you’ll find a more efficient furnace can be well worth purchasing.
The exact amount you save will depend on a lot of things:
- Whether the winter is warm or cold.
- The size of your home.
- How well-insulated it is.
- Sun exposure, window size and number.
- How warm you want to keep your home.
That’s why we encourage you to dig out your real heating bills and do your own calculations.
We’re sure that no matter what how your actual numbers work out, you’ll find that you’re spending thousands of dollars that you could be using for something that’s much more fun.
If you’re ready to start saving on energy, contact Green ApplePlumbing & Mechanical NJ for more information on how to make your furnace more efficient. Call us toll-free at 888-315-5564